Home | About OC | Continuing Education | Course Schedule | Registration|Accommodations | About Dr. Chan | Study Club | Doctor Education | Patient Education| Vision | Research Group | Science | Orthodontics | Laboratory | Dr. Chan’s Articles| GNM Dentistry | Contact Us
Treating the Oral Cavity is about: Health & Wellness for the BODY
- Removing calculus is eliminating the debre from the body.
- Removing a carious lesion is eliminating an infection from the body.
- Removing abnormal torques and strains in the bite is eliminating dysfunctions in the masticatory system that effect the body.
The Oral CAVITY is either ACTing in a supportive way (It acts in a healthy way) or in a destructive way (It acts in an unhealthy way).
Treating the Mouth & Related Structures: Medical Necessity and Risk Assessment – ICD 10
- Oral cavity problems effect the whole body.
- Digestive system – stomach, intestines, GERDS, etc.
- Periodontal – heart and lung connection
- Dental problems – cavities, tooth loss (functional)
- TM Joints – arthritis effects the whole body
- Masticatory Muscle problems
- Developmental Problems
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea – sleep bruxism
- Insomnia – anxiety
HOW DO THESE LISTED ITEMS EFFECT THE FUNCTION OF THE WHOLE BODY?
IS TMD A WHOLE BODY MATTER or just a teeth, muscle and temporomandibular joint matter?
Dentists and the community of TMD of folks need to re-think this whole matter from a Body perspective. The Dental profession needs to be re-educated on What TMD really is about.
— Clayton A. Chan, D.D.S. – Dentist