Home | About OC | Continuing Education | Course Schedule | Registration | Accommodations | About Dr. Chan | Study Club | Doctor Education | Patient Education Vision | Research Group | Science | Orthodontics | Laboratory | Dr. Chan’s Articles | GNM Dentistry | Contact Us | Dr. Chan’s Blogs | Finding a GNM Dentist
Bio-Physiologic Neuromuscular (Structural/Functional) Perspective
This approach focuses on not only the subjective patient complaints, but also on objective assessment of the musculoskeletal occlusal signs and symptoms of TMD.
- Measuring technology and instrumentation are used and include: 1) computerized mandibular tracking, 2) surface electromyography and 3) electrosonography of the TMJ.
- The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved the sale of these devices for the purposes of measuring activity that directly relates to the TMJ. The medical necessity of their use for each patient must be documented by the treating dentist and certainly are non-invasive approaches to document medical necessity.
- These devices have been found to be extremely useful in aiding the clinician to arrive at a diagnosis for conservative treatment. NIDCR fails to even recognize such.
- The use of objective quantifiable diagnostic procedures should be implemented to quantify and qualify a patient’s dysfunction. This certainly adds essential, accurate information in the effective diagnostic and treatment process especially for patients with trauma episodes to the head and cervical regions.
Subjective feelings and educated guesses when treating the mandible, masticatory muscles of the head and neck and the temporomandibular joints will not produce cost effective results nor appropriate treatment times!
- How Fast Can One Expect TMJ Pain Improvement
- Questions to Consider When Choosing A TMJ Dentist
- Chronic Head Pain: Sufferer’s in Distress
- “Pain: The Psychological Effect On the Patient” – by Loren Pilling, M.D.
- Prevalent Philosophies of Treating TMJ
- Causes of Myofacial Pain Dysfunction
- Degenerative Joint Disease
- Airway Obstruction: Primary Environmental Influences
- TMD Problems that Challenge Dentistry – Four Main Categories
- TMJ Treatment Modalities, Devices and Tests Available
- Parameters of Physiologic Health: Post TMJ Treatment
- Postural Alignment: Chan’s Dental Model
9061 West Post Road, Las Vegas, Nevada 89148 United States Telephone: (702) 271-2950