inimiHome | About OC | Continuing Education | Course Schedule | Registration | Accommodations | About Dr. Chan | Study Club | Doctor Education | Patient Education | Vision | Research Group | Science | Orthodontics | Laboratory | Dr. Chan’s Articles | GNM Dentistry | Contact Us
What Does OC Teach?
At OC, our gneuromuscular (GNM) teachings are able to make the Occlusion concepts very simple, more practical and effective than previously known neuromuscular and or classically based Occlusal philosophies. It is a blended approach in the areas of 1) TMD, 2) orthodontic/orthopedics and 3) restorative/prosthetics.
It is a disciplined approach in diagnosing orthopedic issues, beyond the common cosmetic restorative thinking process. It is a 3 way perspective of occlusion.
- We show our doctors what they specifically need to see, learn and understand to get clinical results.
- We have stream lined our methods how to find a physiologic bite – Optimized Bite™
(Optimizing the AP, frontal/lateral and vertical relationships of the jaw) that can be verified scientifically with advanced instrumentation.
- We have learned to apply the essentials of low frequency TENS to capture a 6 dimensional bite based on the science of K7 kineseographic data. We build and construct our VDO, AP, frontal/lateral relationships systematically regardless of joint conditions. We have a systematic protocol that has been clinically sound and successful – showing what to recognize, see and observe. The K7 data can then be added to one’s understanding, to allow the operator to verify, modify or even amplify their observations of this “Optimized TENS bite” technique.
- We have discovered a simple means to identify vertical dimension for each patient without the need of calipers and K7 measurements – yet still follow the proven golden rules of physiology when testing and measuring.
- We teach and show how to identify the proper frontal lateral positioning of the mandible to reduce the discal dysfunctional issues previously unrecognized in the NM arena, again without instrumentation, but can prove it with instrumentation when needed.
- We teach when to TENS and when the TENS is not necessary at orthotic delivery, but recognize that Myomonitor TENS is a must. (NMD doesn’t have to be so complicated and difficult in the busy restorative and orthodontic practice).
- We purposely de-emphasize the need for EMGs – EMGs is great science, but in every day practice we show doctors how to diagnose and treat cases for a busy restorative/ortho practice.
- We know how to design the orthotic (GNM) style) to make the orthotic delivery simple, easy, predictable and effective even for those simple to moderate challenging TMD cases (including the cervical dysfunction problem, (TMD primary problems), Class II Div. 2 type case, and Anterior open bite TMD pain cases) – TENSing is not required on that first delivery visit if one follows the GNM protocols. (These are the common problems that often bewilder most TMD minded dentists even if they had “NM” training).
- We teach, show and train doctors how to properly micro occlude the orthotic with GNM principles which has not been adequately addressed in the neuromuscular dentistry (NMD) arena to get a more optimal clinical results.
- We teach doctors when TENS, EMG and CMS/Jaw Tracking is useful and when it is not in a busy practice.
OC Advancing the Boundaries in Technique and Principle
Diagnostic Awareness is a foundational key to OC’s gneuromuscular (GNM) teachings. Concepts and neuromuscular (NM) principles become refined as the doctor advance their K7 scan interpretation skills and use of instrumentation. OC addresses head on the more complex TMD occlusion oriented case problems with simpler, logical, strategic and focused GNM protocols achieving better clinical results faster and easier than previously known within the NMD community.
- OC teaches and demonstrate why TENS is a must.
- OC knows that jaw tracking/computerized mandibular scanning is key to Optimization of the Bite and structural postural alignment – We teach doctors how to master the K7 at an advanced level based on foundational principles that they learn and discover in Levels 1-4 of our curriculum.
- OC teaches and demonstrate how to properly use EMGs and clinically scan interpret them to make a proper diagnosis for the 4 categories of NM problems often unresolved by classical NM techniques. It’s the effective resolution of complex cases that prove and validate OC’s teachings.
- OC teaches how to apply the K7 scans and teaches how to Interpret the K7 scans at a clinical level. OC doctors realize K7 scan interpretation is only as good as one’s diagnostic awareness and GNM understanding.
- OC teaches and trains doctors how to be effective clinicians who use K7 instrumentation – when to run scans and when one doesn’t need to run all the scans, what scans are important and what scans are optional for the busy restorative ortho practice and also what scans to run for the more comprehensive specialized TMD/occlusal oriented practice.
- OC teaches and demonstrates that capturing an optimal bite is best accomplished with a proper understanding of optimal jaw tracking Scan 4/5 protocols and rules that have not been adequately understood within the NM community especially when trying to treat the more complex cervical dysfunction problems, TMJ primary problems, Class II division 2 and anterior open bite TMD pain problem cases.
- Optimized Bite as well as an optimal myo-trajectory can be achieved with proper jaw tracking understanding and OC training – it cannot be effectively achieved based on classical EMG paradigms, especially for those complex chronic fatigue paining muscle problem cases; this has been proven amongst many clinicians over the years.
- OC teaches and trains doctors in a systematic and thorough comprehensive fashion to use the K7 instrumentation (Myomonitor TENS, CMS, EMG and ESG) optimally, not half way, to achieve maximum dental improvement (MDI), even with the more complex dysfunctional occlusal cases.
- Maximum dental improvement (MDI) and case finishing proof is what is missing within the NM community – OC trains doctors how to identify whether their cases have reached those goals when using instrumentation, scan interpretation skills as well as case finishing and accurate bite management protocosl to the next levels.
Occlusion Connections Dentist Training and Education
Question: How does the treating clinician objectively document whether a case has met the objective goals of maximum dental improvement (MDI)? How does the NM clinician use the K7 scans to validate the quality of CNS resting modes using EMG and CMS data? – This has never been adequately taught nor emphasized amongst clinicains until OC doctors got the training and GNM micro occlusion understanding at the next level.
- OC believes in training and educating dentists to be the Masters of the Trigeminal System.
- OC believes in practicing what we teach.
- At OC cutting edge, leading technology is successfully applied in addition to and in respect of the well established and grounded NM science of dentistry and gnathology.
- At OC the traditional bite management (gnathology) and cutting edge science (neuromuscluar) comes together in GNM.
The result of OC’s training is foundational and transformative. It gives an educational way of thinking – “A THINKING PROCESS”, not a recipe, neither a list of things to follow. While it is a place with a spirit of unity, there is freedom of expression and independent thinking under an umbrella of truth. (OC does not believe in mass production or producing carbon copies of a personality or style).
OCCLUSION CONNECTIONS™ is redefining dentistry. GNM is a New Level of Awareness – Practicing from an Advanced Perspective.
Read more on: Defining Occlusion
Read more: GNEUROMUSCULAR DENTISTRY – The Next Level of Advancement
Click to Read More on: OC Alumni Benefits
9061 West Post Road, Las Vegas, Nevada 89148 United States Telephone: (702) 271-2950
Leader in Gneuromuscular and Neuromuscular Dentistry